Dynamic facial wrinkles such as lines on your forehead and between your brows can appear due to the repeated contraction of the underlying muscles. Such wrinkles can affect your physical appearance, making you look older than your age.
If you are looking for a safe and non-invasive way to get rid of these lines, Xeomin® might be just the right option for you.
What Is Xeomin® And How Does It Work?
Xeomin® is an FDA-approved synthetic form of botulinum toxin A manufactured by Merz pharmaceuticals. The neurotoxin causes a temporary nerve block in the treated muscle group, which prevents them from contracting. As a result, it relaxes the targeted muscles, softening the look of fine lines and wrinkles in different areas of the face.
What Can Be Treated With Xeomin®?
Xeomin® is FDA-approved to treat and reduce the appearance of moderate to severe frown lines (aka glabellar lines or 11 lines) i.e. the lines between your eyebrows. It can also be used to address forehead wrinkles.
Am I A Good Candidate For Xeomin®?
An ideal candidate for Xeomin® is anyone who is:
- At least 18 years or older.
- Looking for an effective yet non-surgical treatment for their dynamic wrinkles.
- Looking to reduce the appearance of frown lines and forehead wrinkles.
- Looking to delay or prevent the development of frown lines and forehead wrinkles.
What Sets Xeomin® Apart From Other Toxins?
Xeomin® is comparatively new as compared to other neurotoxins like Botox® but it is preferred over other options because:
- It is made with XTRACT Technology,™ which removes any additive proteins from the active product, leaving behind only what is required to smooth out wrinkles and lines.
- Due to the same reason, Xeomin® is less likely to cause drug resistance or allergic reactions.
- The effectiveness and safety of Xeomin® are similar to Botox.
- It works well in people who have become resistant to Botox.
How To Prepare For The Treatment
Since getting Xeomin® is a minimally invasive treatment, there is no extensive preparation required for it. However, you need to mention if you are taking any medications such as NSAIDs or blood thinners beforehand to avoid any complications between and after the procedure.
It is recommended that you avoid alcohol and smoking for at least a week before your appointment.
What To Expect From The Treatment
The procedure is quick, virtually painless, and requires virtually zero downtime.
Your provider might choose to apply a numbing agent beforehand to avoid any discomfort.
The risk of side effects is next to none. However, some people might experience mild bruising, redness, or swelling at the injection site, which is nothing to worry about as they will resolve on their own within 24 to 48 hours.
Here are other things you can do to ensure optimal results:
- Refrain from lying down for at least 90 minutes after the procedure so that the Xeomin® can bind itself adequately to the muscles in the target area.
- Avoid direct sun exposure for a few days. If you must venture out, be sure to apply sunscreen with a minimum of at least SPF 30.
- Avoid exercising or any strenuous activities for at least 24 hours after the treatment.
How Long Do The Results Last?
Initial effects can be seen within 1 to 2 days. However, it may take upto a week for the full results to kick in.
Typically, the results will last for about three to four months, depending on your body’s ability to metabolize the toxin. Hence, you need to schedule follow-up treatments to keep your skin smooth, wrinkle-free, and younger-looking for a long time.
Xeomin® can help reduce the appearance of frown lines and forehead wrinkles effectively by targeting the root cause (i.e., underlying muscles). However, only a well-trained provider can use the right technique to deliver optimal results without the risk of side effects.
At Dr. Chow’s Rejuvenation Practice, Lee’s Summit, Missouri, our board-certified expert injector can ensure that you will have nothing but the best experience.
Book a consultation now to get a customized Xeomin® treatment plan best suited to address your aesthetic concerns and goals.