We’ve all experienced it at some point – having to deal with unwanted hair growing on certain parts of our bodies.
Whether it’s on our legs, arms, underarms, or even the face, excess hair can sometimes feel like a constant battle, making us feel self-conscious or uncomfortable.
Thankfully, there’s a safe and effective solution to help you conquer your body hair woes once and for all: laser hair removal. This innovative and non-invasive treatment targets hair follicles with precision, reducing the growth of hair and leaving you with smoother, silkier skin.
Keep reading and find out how to prepare for a laser hair removal treatment.
What Is Laser Hair Removal?
A non-invasive cosmetic procedure, laser hair removal works by using focused light energy to target and destroy hair follicles, thereby reducing unwanted hair growth.
The laser emits a specific wavelength of light that is absorbed by the pigment (melanin) in the hair follicle. This light energy is then converted into heat, which damages the hair follicle and inhibits its ability to produce new hair.
5 Things You Can Do to Prepare For a Laser Hair Removal
Laser hair removal can be performed on various parts of the body, such as the face, legs, arms, underarms, bikini line, and back. It is a popular choice for those seeking a more permanent solution to hair removal as it offers longer-lasting results compared to traditional hair removal methods like shaving, waxing, or plucking.
Here are the five tips you can do to better prepare for your treatment:
- Shave the Treatment Area. Before your laser hair removal appointment, shave the area to be treated about 24 hours in advance. This helps the laser to focus its energy on the hair follicles beneath the skin, rather than on the hair above the surface.
Avoid waxing, plucking, or using depilatory creams, as these methods remove the hair from the root, making the laser treatment less effective.
- Avoid Sun Exposure. Minimize sun exposure for at least two weeks before your appointment.
Tanning, whether natural or artificial, can increase the risk of burns or skin discoloration during the treatment. Apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen with at least SPF 30 daily to protect your skin from harmful UV rays while you’re at it.
- Refrain From Using Certain Skincare Products. Some skincare products, particularly those containing harsh active ingredients like retinoids, alpha-hydroxy acids, or other exfoliants, can make your skin more sensitive to the laser.
Consult with your provider about which products to avoid for the time being before your treatment.
- Cleanse Your Skin. On the day of your appointment, thoroughly cleanse the treatment area, ensuring it is free from makeup, lotions, or oils. These substances can interfere with the laser’s effectiveness and may increase the risk of side effects.
- Dress Comfortably. Wear loose, comfortable clothing to your appointment, especially if you’re having a large or sensitive area treated.
This will help minimize any discomfort after the treatment and allow for easy access to the treatment area during the procedure.
Say goodbye to the endless cycle of shaving, waxing, or plucking, and embrace the freedom and confidence that comes with laser hair removal!
With our qualified providers here at Dr. Chow’s Rejuvenation Practice in Lee’s Summit, MO, your journey to a more carefree -and hair-free- life can start today!
Call us now and schedule your appointment with us!